Monday, September 15, 2008

My First Post and Hurricane Ike

So, here I am...an official blogger. Yes, it is one of those "never say never" things that I did anyways. I have entered what you experienced bloggers call the blogosphere. Thanks to Heather, she has walked me through everything...I must say that it took some time to set up since I am someone who has to click and drag a hundred times before I finally figure out what it is that I am trying to do. But, my hope is that friends and family can be informed and encouraged by this blog. My main reason of setting this up is so that people can see the amazing changes and accomplishments that Colt Henry is making daily. I hope that I can update often rather than send out 75 pictures every 3 months, but all I can promise is that I will try to update as often as I can. My little munchkin keeps me quite busy these days.

When I started my blogging adventure at the end of last week, I had completely different plans of what my first post would be. I wanted to send updated pictures of Colt and catch everyone up on what we did this summer. But, Hurricane Ike put a kink in my plans as he has done to thousands of people on the Texas coast. You see, I feel like I have been affected by Ike because my sister has been directly affected by it. Ashley and her family live in The Woodlands, Texas just north of Houston. I am used to talking to Ashley daily, if not four or five times a day, seriously. Today, I called and called, and could not reach her. I finally talked to her tonight and cannot imagine what they have to deal with now.

It is a true blessing that they did not have any damage to their house, and that just one tree fell on their fence. But, she said that their power would be out for two to four weeks; people are standing in line for hours to get groceries in the dark because they will only let 15 people in at a time; gas, ice, batteries, and propane are nowhere to be found; people are hanging their laundry out on their fences; and ramen noodles and soup are about the only options for food since they were instructed to throw everything in their refrigerators away. I just take for granted what I am blessed with everyday...power, air conditioning, food, the luxuries in life.

I guess I am rambling, but it is times like these that I used to think..."oh that is so sad, but I know that things will get better for them." But, that is probably the last time I will think like that when a natural disaster occurs. Because tonight I heard my sister say "I just want to wash my clothes and eat a hot meal." And, it is hard for me when I feel like there is not much that I can do. So, for the two people reading this, I just wanted to ramble for a minute and if you happen to know someone who has been affected by this storm...let them know that you love them and are there for them.

We also have to rest assured that our God is a great and powerful God. We know this by what just occurred this past weekend. He promises that He will never give us more than we can handle. And, for an amazing description and awesome pictures of this storm...look at Heather's September 12 post on "Just Me, HP" that is linked from this page.

So, I continue to thank God daily for my sister and the blessings He brings through her family to mine.

You know that I have to include pictures, so here is Colt with his wonderful cousins, Madison, Macey, and Thatcher.





4 comments:

HP said...

Oh, I just love it! You were born to blog, girlfriend. :)

Suzanna said...

Yay--so glad you gave in! It's fun for mamas, but I think recording little bits of daily life will be a real gift for the little ones some day!

You probably already know, but there are services where you can have your blog printed and bound so your kids can have it one day as their baby book--or a supplement to their babya book.

Have fun..excited about keeping up with you!

Anonymous said...

I really love it. And I enjoyed reading your first post. Colt is precious...

I am praying/thinking about your family. I wish Ashley and her family could have a hot meal, too. Let me know how we can help...If we can get a care packed to them, let me know how that is possible! Thank you for sharing your family, Maggie.

MB Shaw said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! So glad to see pictures of your family!! Colt is a doll!